close

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
Hey IGN fam. I was able to pick up a early copy of Sleeping Dogs. I've only played a couple hours into the game but I have to say I'm impressed. I like it so far and can see that it is very diverse. If anyone has any questions about the game I'll try to answer them if I can.
 
Nov 20, 2009
95
0
I'm getting this game opening day but theres something i was curious about.
Can you walk normally when your out in the city? When i watch the gameplay everytime the character moves hes always sprinting or jogging.
 

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
No you can't walk normally unless the game has you in a situation where they want you to walk.

When you are out roaming you always do this sort of slow jog. I tried to make him walk several times after seeing this question but it wasn't happening, lol. Pressing A makes you do the full sprint.
 

hugacarlos

Noob
Sep 4, 2008
106
5
What about side quests, anything non main mission related. Is there plenty of that to go around. or can you go into bars and just play a bar game or something??
 

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
There are side quests, so far I have completed all of them that I can do at this time. I'm sure more will open up once I get to a certain point in the game. The side quests were all varied and only repeated once. They were also all pretty quick but fun non the less. All of these side quests allow you basically gain reputation points that tie into what type of cars and clothes you can buy. You have to raise your rep to purchase things so they are important if you care about those things. I want to own the fastest bike so I do. Once I open up more of them I will see if they repeat.

Other side quests are more like mini games, you have cock fight betting, underground fight club battles as well as car races.

Just want to note that I really like this game and I think the developers did a good job with it. I'm probably 4 hours into it or so and am still opening up new gameplay mechanics....still haven't shot any type of gun or even seen one asside from some one having one in a recent cutscene. Hopefully that means I'm about to get my hands on one, lol.
 

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
70 hours is a lot of gameplay and I'm not sure this game has that much. I believe I saw some info where the developers said the main storyline can last around 14 hours. The extra stuff I have seen so far could probably double all that so my guestimate would be around 30 hours of gameplay. Of course, how you play the game can change that. Rest assured though that there is a lot to do and so far it has all been fun.
 

hugacarlos

Noob
Sep 4, 2008
106
5
i was really hoping for at least 50. but oh well maby it will last that long. including collectables you need to find also maby it could peak to that area
 
Mar 29, 2007
463
9
One review preview on metacritic says the game only lasts ten hours. But I think they're just talking about the story missions. Ten hours is easily fifteen for me. And because it's open world, I know I'll get distracted with collectibles and side missions, so I'm sure I can stretch it to 25 or so. Can't wait til Tuesday to pick this up.

Edit:

How are the controls? Are they very responsive while in combat? Also, do the cars handle differently? And can you drift in this game? Thanks in advance.
 
Last edited:

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
You can definitely get distracted. I spent about two hours yesterday just doing car boosting missions as it was a quick and easy way to make money. It was also a good way to try out all the different cars in the game to figure out which ones you might want to buy.

The controls in the game are very good. The fighting is very similiar to the Batman games. I'm not the best at it yet so I've gotten beaten up a few times but it wasn't a control issue. I can't comment on the shooting aspect of the game since I haven't used a gun yet. The controls to move around are also very responsive and in some situations you look like a freerunner the way the character can climb up and over walls and jump over tables and such.

I haven't noticed a major difference in how each cars handles. I think the game handles speed very well and it has the blur effect once you are really moving. The bikes in the game are also a joy. Better than GTA and Saints Row in my opinion. They are very responsive and you can really zip around the city. I think bikes are the best option becuase the streets in this game are pretty packed with cars. I'm biased towards bikes though, lol.

You can drift in the game but it is different than most I've played. Usually you just tap the e brake to start a drift but you have to hold it down longer in this game. It works but I haven't got the hang of it yet to be proficient. I end up spinning out and the better option for me is too just slow down to take a corner. I do see how once I get the hang of it it will be best in some situations. Burnouts work really well and are good for turning around super fast.
 

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
49,927
4,219
You can definitely get distracted. I spent about two hours yesterday just doing car boosting missions as it was a quick and easy way to make money. It was also a good way to try out all the different cars in the game to figure out which ones you might want to buy.
LOL. I have a speed chart already.
 

StarwindAmada

Almost Not a Noob
Jan 3, 2005
1,019
15
No you can't walk normally unless the game has you in a situation where they want you to walk.

When you are out roaming you always do this sort of slow jog. I tried to make him walk several times after seeing this question but it wasn't happening, lol. Pressing A makes you do the full sprint.

You have to zoom in with the left trigger/L2/whatever it is on PC. Then you can walk.
 

jvgriff85

Noob
Aug 1, 2012
8
0
just softly hold the joystick forward......and he'll walk... if u hold it all the way up he jogs... if u hold A or X he'll sprint
 

cdow20

Noob
Aug 11, 2012
10
0
"You have to zoom in with the left trigger/L2/whatever it is on PC. Then you can walk"

I will have to try this later. Thanks for the update.
 

markaswell

Noob
Nov 17, 2006
2,966
4
im about an 2 hours in.....loving it so far. As already suggested, you can in fact walk if you hold down L2.
 
Jul 30, 2010
2
0
Two questions one how is the combat do the controls feel responsive. Are the shooting sec tins good because they look kind of iffy. Thanks in advance.
 

Steven14

Noob
Aug 15, 2012
1
0
PLAYED IT FOR ABOUT 3 HRS LAST NITE ITS A REALY COOL GAME THE FIGHTING IS SICK AS SHIT I JUS WISH THE CAMERA ON THE DRIVING WAS ALOT BETTER ESPECIALLY WHEN U HAVE TA DO A U TURN BUT THE STORY ITSELF THUS FAR IS REALY GOOD I ACTUALLY FELT LIKE I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A JOHN WOO MOVIE I REALY CANT WAIT TA GET OUT OF WORK TONITE TA GET BACK INTO THE ACTION, I RECOMMEND THIS GAME IF YOUR INTO PLAYN GAMES THAT REMIND YOU OF GTA OR SAINTS ROW AND ARKHAM CITY<COMBAT>.
 

finerjon

Noob
Aug 21, 2012
1
0
i am driving around and i keep falling through the road and then it resets me to just b4 that. and every 5 or so mins i am having to reset the game. is there anything i can do to fix this
 

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
49,927
4,219
i am driving around and i keep falling through the road and then it resets me to just b4 that. and every 5 or so mins i am having to reset the game. is there anything i can do to fix this
Install the game to the Xbox 360 HDD.
 
May 12, 2012
261
29
Hey IGN fam. I was able to pick up a early copy of Sleeping Dogs. I've only played a couple hours into the game but I have to say I'm impressed. I like it so far and can see that it is very diverse. If anyone has any questions about the game I'll try to answer them if I can.
@cdow20 and the all the rest.
I have a question about the Jade Statue's for the melee upgrades.
I have been using the map from the IGN wiki and so far finding all the lock boxes and health shrines...but every Jade Statue location I look for there is nothing there...do you have to complete a certain portion of the main story for Jade Statue's to appear?
I hope your still following this message board b/c I just started playing and my head is spinning w/ plenty of questions.~o)
 

sng-ign

電 子 遊 戲 師 傅
Aug 6, 2002
49,927
4,219
Hey IGN fam. I was able to pick up a early copy of Sleeping Dogs. I've only played a couple hours into the game but I have to say I'm impressed. I like it so far and can see that it is very diverse. If anyone has any questions about the game I'll try to answer them if I can.
[URL='http://www.ign.com/boards/members/cdow20.4486433/']@cdow20[/URL] and the all the rest.
I have a question about the Jade Statue's for the melee upgrades.
I have been using the map from the IGN wiki and so far finding all the lock boxes and health shrines...but every Jade Statue location I look for there is nothing there...do you have to complete a certain portion of the main story for Jade Statue's to appear?
I hope your still following this message board b/c I just started playing and my head is spinning w/ plenty of questions.~o)
Clear "Listening In" (story mission).
 

zello144

Star
Dec 20, 2010
1,948
1,220
I gotta Question Does this Game have Detective Grades like True Crime NYC and Do Random Crime Events Happen Like in True Crime NYC?
 

joboid

Noob
Aug 23, 2012
4
0
I gotta Question Does this Game have Detective Grades like True Crime NYC and Do Random Crime Events Happen Like in True Crime NYC?
Sort of. You get cop points for solving cases that you can spend on skills and level up such as stealing a car without sounding the alarm, but you can lose then by killing innocents, damaging property, etc.
 
Last edited:

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011
2,850
782
You can definitely get distracted. I spent about two hours yesterday just doing car boosting missions as it was a quick and easy way to make money. It was also a good way to try out all the different cars in the game to figure out which ones you might want to buy.

The controls in the game are very good. The fighting is very similiar to the Batman games. I'm not the best at it yet so I've gotten beaten up a few times but it wasn't a control issue. I can't comment on the shooting aspect of the game since I haven't used a gun yet. The controls to move around are also very responsive and in some situations you look like a freerunner the way the character can climb up and over walls and jump over tables and such.

I haven't noticed a major difference in how each cars handles. I think the game handles speed very well and it has the blur effect once you are really moving. The bikes in the game are also a joy. Better than GTA and Saints Row in my opinion. They are very responsive and you can really zip around the city. I think bikes are the best option becuase the streets in this game are pretty packed with cars. I'm biased towards bikes though, lol.

You can drift in the game but it is different than most I've played. Usually you just tap the e brake to start a drift but you have to hold it down longer in this game. It works but I haven't got the hang of it yet to be proficient. I end up spinning out and the better option for me is too just slow down to take a corner. I do see how once I get the hang of it it will be best in some situations. Burnouts work really well and are good for turning around super fast.

Agreed about bikes. Made me wish for bicycles, though, like you could ride in GTA: San Andreas. I loved zipping around on those.

I'm very lousy at driving in games, generally, and with Sleeping Dogs I've had the easiest, most pleasurable in-game driving experience I've ever had. Really digging it. I even enjoy the races, and I NEVER like races.
 

jacktres

Almost Not a Noob
May 14, 2011
2,850
782
Is this game worth sixty dollars? What does everyone like best about it?

I love that driving is smooth and enjoyable rather than requiring constant intense concentration. In GTA, I was always all over the street, getting caught on corners of things, having to reverse, getting spun around. In Sleeping Dogs, I can squeeze through traffic and take tight turns with few troubles. It's super smooth.

The hand-to-hand combat is really well-balanced, too. You can't just button-mash, but it's not horribly complex, either, not like playing Mortal Kombat with elaborate series of inputs. Enough variety to be fun, but not so many moves that you're overwhelmed.

Can't say yet whether it's worth $60. Folks seem to find the game on the short side, and that remains to be seen in my case. I will say that I have next to no gripes with the bits I've played so far--it's practically perfect.
 

gimespring

Noob
Mar 22, 2002
110
1
I gotta Question Does this Game have Detective Grades like True Crime NYC and Do Random Crime Events Happen Like in True Crime NYC?

I saw a guy steal a ladys purse...ran him down...picked up the purse and returned it to the lady and she gave me $250...dont remember of it gave me cop xp...