close
Feb 1, 2006
408
4
Qualify your statement. SW has won numerous skateboarding awards (including 2 gold medals at the x games). Besides being a great snowboarder he has some impressive skating creds to his name. So, what sucks a** about him? Explain or go.
 
Jan 19, 2005
10,217
0
Yeah I actually do skate, the guy winning the most awards isn't the best, you're thinking of a different sport. Perhaps longjumping or heavy ball throwing or digging in the sandpits or whatever they do at the summer olympics.

Skateboarding is about obstacles, coming at them from every possible angle, doing what feels right, trying new things, playing around and setting goals with these obstacles to evolve and achieve. It's finding your way (it sounds cheesy but it's true)
The style, personality and innovation born out some people's minds from nothing is just (in lack of a better term) spirituality. Skating is like music, there's a soul to it, there's something unexplainable and beautiful about it's qualities.
Skateboarding is better compared to dance then anything else, somewhere in a netherworld between art and sport. You get to express yourself in your movements through the whole process, every day you practice tricks in the parking lot you get to do it your way and practice the things you think look cool. You are really free

Shaun White has no soul, he's terribly talented but he has no soul. With the endless possibilities and the seemingly endless talent of Shaun White, you'd think he'd be more than a generic blob of nothingness.

If you can't see that you're either not that into skateboarding (which is ok) or you don't have a soul (and think Lady Gaga is great).
 
Feb 1, 2006
408
4
How does he have no soul? I DO skate by the way and I also do NOT like Lady gaga :D I agree with a lot of what you said in your second post. Skating DOES have it's own rythm, and it's got a little bit of zen to it. It's beautiful and creative and I understand exactly what you mean by finding your way while doing it.

Honestly, I'm not trying to pick a fight here. I just think that if you are going to hate on someone, you should say WHY. I don't understand what it is about SW that makes you think he's got no soul. He seems personable and charming in interviews, deos some amazing board work (both on snow and on a skateboard) and DOES seem to reach for innovative new hights in his endeavors. So what's the issue?
 
Jan 19, 2005
10,217
0
I'm not sure something like a soul can be proven just like that. How would I prove Pink Floyd is better than Linkin Park, it is obviously true but I wouldn't know where to start

He's a competition skater and good at it, he's a professional athlete who knows what will give him points in the competitions and sells his name to horrible products (like this game, check it on IGN). His goal seems to be winning the awful softdrink series of skateboarding related competition-style advertisements. A great skater would treat the process of skating as the goal not the means of reaching something else
I'm not saying it isn't ok to work for money or fame, just saying you aren't a hero if that's your motivation. If you aspire to do something just to impress someone (a jury or fans or anyone) you probably won't be so special.

Still, the fact that he's a corporate shill doesn't prove anything about his skating, it explains some things but doesn't prove anything. I'll ask you, what makes him special? If you were to describe his style, what words would you use? What constitutes his personal soul?

After all that, I realize I should've just said "Gingers don't have souls" and left. Also, no hard feelings, disregard anything mean I say. I just like making fun of people and things. Being a jerk is a great shortcut to humour, and I'm not very funny
 
Feb 1, 2006
408
4
King.of.town said:
After all that, I realize I should've just said "Gingers don't have souls" and left.

[face_applause] for channelling Eric Cartman!

I agree with a lot of what you say and you bring up some excellent points. However, it is hard for me to see him as just a corporate shill. I wouldn't know how to describe his soul, just as you wouldn't know how to describe his lack of it as the case may be, but I DO think he's more genuine than you think he is. He just seems to really have JOY as he does his thing. Maybe that is the thing...the joy I see in him as he competes.

I remember seeing the glee on his face as he pulled off the insane double McTwist 12 a the olympics. It's a look I've seen on his face time and time again that tells me that he's really INTO what he's doing out there, not just a performing monkey going for sponsorship gold.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, but I can tell you ONE thing....it seems that you are very genuine in your feelings and that's cool. I'm glad you strive to back up your opinion, and even though we disagree I have much respect for you. ~o)

Skate on brother.
 
Jul 13, 2010
3
0
shaun white snowboarding was so gay if u compare it to even amped but especially stoked. why would the skateboarding game be any better. and for the record shaun white is a douche who doesnt tip people when he goes out to eat, and expects a discount because he's shaun white (personal experience). play skate 3 its probably the best.
 
Jan 19, 2005
10,217
0
We had a smart, interesting and respectful conversation, on the internet! Great! I do respect what you're saying

steveperry6969 said:
shaun white snowboarding was so gay if u compare it to even amped but especially stoked. why would the skateboarding game be any better. and for the record shaun white is a douche who doesnt tip people when he goes out to eat, and expects a discount because he's shaun white (personal experience). play skate 3 its probably the best.

Pssst, you're not helping
 

bsufan

Noob
Jun 13, 2008
24
0
This game will suck. I don't care how many awards he has won. If it is anything like his SB game it will suck.
 
Feb 1, 2006
408
4
Sorry for replying so late! I forgot all about this thread until now.

King.of.town said:
We had a smart, interesting and respectful conversation, on the internet! Great! I do respect what you're saying

How about that? Rare! It was certainly one of the more enjoyable conversations I've had on the internet while disagreeing with someone. Cool that this can happen these days.