
Morning!
I wouldn't cope without a 'journal'. For instance, in Morrowind they sure do no hand holding, and you have to walk the whole world to open it up. No fast travelling to places you've been either, and though there are diff methods of transport, if you don't make a note of what takes you where, you'd never get anywhere at all! I have a whole page of destinations---take the Stilt Rider to X, then the boat to Y, then use the Guild transport to Z----
I hadn't thought of things that way, but yes, the new expansions do add many new interactions and skills and skill objects.
For example, the Ambitions expansion added Sculpting as a skill, and a sculpting station. As the doll progresses in the skill more objects are added that they are able to make. It is all very logical, they start with clay, then as they level up in the skill, Ice, Metal and Wood are added.
Skill challenges unlock certain bonuses, such as if 25 'Ice Sims' are sculpted, the ice sculptures never melt, and after sculpting 5 in each medium or something, all materials become free.
All skills have a set of skill challenges that if met, bring permanent bonuses to the dolls. They are all very logical and well thought out. In most cases surprisingly accurate in comparison to 'real life' I think.
The Tomb exploration in World adventures is pretty comprehensive in terms of challenges and bonuses too. Oddly, [I never would have thought I'd say this] some of them would give a lot of adventure games a good challenge in terms of puzzle difficulty.
Here again, following a 'quest line' as opposed to random tomb exploration has the advantage of skill bonuses that make it a little easier.
As in --- clearing X rubble piles makes the doll able to clear them faster- each thing has it's bonus.
Certain tombs are 'locked' and can only be opened by getting the 'quest' for them. It's pretty comprehensive.
The closest thing to combat is the Martial Art skill. At level 5 in the skill they are able to go to China and challenge people to ranked matches.
Once they become a Grand Master by reaching level 10 in the skill and level 5 in challenges anyone they train learns faster.
Meditating at a high level bring the ability to 'zeneport' and a high level in meditation makes that smoother and easier to achieve.
Rather useful in tomb hunting sometimes.
Watching [you don't control the action] two dolls at a high level in M/arts spar is like watching a dance. It is beautiful. You are clearly able to see how the points are awarded.
To make my games more interesting I have 'sorted' families I add to the 'hoods, and the doll I am playing is able to interact with them and spar etc. Once they are added as 'townies' they are of course no longer under your control, but if you have done a good job with them, they will have perks that ensure they have a 'steel bladder' and various other things that keep their needs under control and are a pleasure to have around.
I can't comment on base game to base game in terms of TS 2 and TS 3, as I have played neither without expansions.
With expansions, I would say that it has 'opened' the game up.
You have way more control and options in how you create and develop the dolls.
It is now possible to fine tune them to a frightening degree. Five traits were always a little limiting, and Uni Life has added two that are achievable.
One for reaching a high level in a social group, and one for achieving a Uni degree.
Most of the traits are 'gimmicks' and give only a minor boost to specific actions. [as in --- athletic, disciplined, will make M/arts challenges easier, but it is achievable without them]
A sensible choice that gives a wider balance and a well rounded doll would still be the way to go. They don't have to be 'natural cooks' to reach level 10 in cooking and turn out perfect meals.
The expansions and all the choices in terms of game play have made this a game I can spend hours in. I could not have imagined that when I sometimes played the Sims 2 Uni, or started playing the band gig thing in TS 3.
I would say that Base game, Ambitions, World Adventures, Late Night, Uni Life and Supernatural for the skill of alchemy and the objects are the ideal way to go with this game.
Pets is annoying as it involves strays and a lot of AI spawning which causes lag. Seasons, the same.
I uninstalled my Pets for that reason. although it now allows the choice of turning off most life states, you cannot turn off strays.
Otherwise you are able to control all the new things in game 'options'.
Wow! This turned into another Novel!
Hope it's interesting.
![Hugs [face_hugs] [face_hugs]](/ickypeach-https-www.ignboards.com/styles/ign/ign/smilies/classic/hugs.gif)